The Tulane-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan (T-SHIP) offers access to New Orleans-area healthcare providers, on-campus healthcare services, and convenient prescription fulfillment on the uptown campus.
While some out-of-state and international health plans may lack coverage in the New Orleans area, T-SHIP includes a wealth of in-network providers, including the city’s major hospitals and a wide array of specialists. T-SHIP also covers students when they travel, so they’re covered at home and abroad.
Students with T-SHIP enjoy low or no copays, deductibles or coinsurance at the Tulane Health Center as well as low deductibles and impressive coinsurance rates with other providers.
T-SHIP is a University-sponsored health insurance plan available to Tulane students through United Healthcare Student Resources (UHCSR). It can be used as a primary health insurance plan, or it may supplement a student’s existing family insurance plan. Premiums collected are paid directly to the insurance company and are non-refundable after the health insurance action deadline. The University does not receive any benefits for enrolling students in T-SHIP.
Submit insurance questions.
T-SHIP 2022-2023 plan information
You may access and print your health insurance ID card once you have created a user name and password to access your UHCSR MyAccount. Visit the account creation page and follow the on-screen prompts. You may also call United Healthcare Student Resources at (800) 767-0700 to request a health insurance ID card to be mailed to your current address. Please present your card at all healthcare visits.
Optional vision and dental plans
Vision and dental plans are also available to Tulane students. Plan details and enrollment instructions can be accessed via the Gallagher portal.
Medical referrals and emergency care follow up
Students who are enrolled in T-SHIP and are assessed the Tulane Campus Health Fee must visit a medical provider at the Health Center to obtain a referral prior to receiving care in the community. Specialist referrals must be obtained each policy year per medical event.
Students with T-SHIP who need follow-up care after an emergency room visit must visit the Health Center to obtain a referral before receiving follow-up care in the community.
When is a Health Center or Counseling Center referral not necessary? Learn more about treatment and referrals on our frequently asked questions page and our referral coordination page.
Billing and reimbursement
When you receive a correspondence from a provider or facility you visited outside the Health Center, follow these steps:
- Do not ignore the correspondence.
- Determine whether it is a bill, a statement of charges sent to your insurance company (explanation of benefits) or a processed claim.
- If it is a bill, verify that the billing provider has your insurance information. Usually there is a space on the back of the invoice to provide this information, or there is a number you can call for clarification.
- If you have T-SHIP and you have questions about a claim or a denial, call the Customer Service number, 800-767-0700. Be sure to note the name of the representative who assists you.
- If your claim was denied, determine whether you had the required referral before seeking care. Please note that referrals cannot be backdated and must be renewed each policy year.
- For billing and reimbursement problems that persist after you have followed the above steps, please contact the Billing Office.
Who is eligible to enroll in T-SHIP?
The following populations of students are eligible to enroll in T-SHIP:
- degree-seeking registered students
- part-time registered students with at least 3 credit hours
- dissertation students
- teaching assistant students
- professional and executive program students
- distance learning students
Please note that no student will be enrolled in T-SHIP until they have confirmed their registration with the registrar's office. If you are unsure of your eligibility, please contact the Insurance Enrollment and Verification Office via the Let's Talk portal.