“Get Yourself Tested” or GYT is a free and easy screening for three sexually transmitted infections (STIs), HIV, gonorrhea, and chlamydia. GYT is not for people who think they have an STI but instead for students looking to make STI testing part of their annual wellness routines.
- This service is offered during the academic year.
- GYT screenings are for those who have no symptoms and no recent exposure to an STI.
- GYT services are confidential and are not recorded for insurance claims.
- GYT services are provided by the Uptown Health Center Nursing Department.
To make an appointment for a GYT screening call 504-865-5255 or schedule via the Patient Portal.
How do I get my screening results?
You will be notified of your results within three to seven days, depending on the test. We generally communicate results via the Patient Portal.
GYT Screening vs. STI Testing
- If you show no symptoms of STIs
- If you have had no recent exposure to an STI
- If you would like a confidential screening for HIV, gonorrhea, and chlamydia only
- If you have symptoms such as a rash, sore, bumps, itching, burning, pain, odor, discharge, and/or bleeding in your genital region
- If for some reason you are worried you have been exposed to an STI
- If you would like to be tested for additional STIs
- If you have had a recent experience of sexual assault/sexual violence**
Once you’ve determined whether you need GYT Screening or STI Testing, call 504-865-5255 and let the patient representative know which service you’d like to schedule.
** If you have experienced sexual assault/sexual violence,
Low-Cost STI Testing in the Community
Planned Parenthood: 504-897-9200